Sunday, March 05, 2006

Contentment as We Climb

Yesterday I was reading Philippians 4, where Paul talks about being content no matter what our circumstances. I was challenged by this. I always find it easier to focus on what I don't have and how to go about getting it than on being content.

Yet, we are supposed to derive our self-identity and -esteem from our positional righteousness and heavenly citizenship in Christ rather than on our possessions and accomplishments here on earth. It is so easy to forget that God owns it all anyhow. All good and perfect gifts come from above, so I may think I have done things, but really God works through me to do good. He gave me my job, and I should rest thankfully in that. He gave me my car, my home, my family, my friends, and my gratitude for all this should overflow into peace and contentment.

All of that is great, but the best part is that this world is not my ultimate home. I have an ultimate eternal home in a place where there is no sorrow, no tears, no pain, no decay - a perfect place, with God Himself, forever, especially prepared for me. Remembering that is where contentment comes from. I can take anything for the short period of time that is this life. I know there's Light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment