Monday, November 09, 2009

20 Years Later

I was 23 when the Wall fell.  I had no friends or relatives that I knew living in Berlin, but I had always had a bit of fascination with Germany since part of my family background is there.  I remember growing up thinking how awful it must be to live in a city divided like that – families separated to either side, neither group allowed to travel freely through their own city.

And I remember Ronald Reagan’s electrifying “Tear Down This Wall!” speech, daring Gorbachev to do something dramatic, instead of just talking detante.

And then the people decided they’d had enough, and down it came.  Even thousands of miles away, it was an emotional and awesome time in history.

In the end, truth, love, freedom – they WIN.

Posted via email from suedensmore's posterous

No comments:

Post a Comment