Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Balancing Act

I was at my home group the other night, and the whole subject of eternal security came up, albeit in a roundabout way. Like, we can count on God adopting us as His children. But we are also supposed to "work out our salvation with fear and trembling." But God "chose us before the foundation of the world," right? And we are still supposed to strive to "make our calling and election sure."

It is that age old argument. Well, it's an argument from our perspective, I guess. And my friend said it in a really cool way. He said at the end, when we get to the entrance gate or whatever is there, and we are in front of God Himself, and He asks us why He should let us in, what will be our response? Well, I for one know I will fall on my face and say that of course He shouldn't, but would He please let me in because of the blood of Christ? That's the only thing that will get anyone in anyhow, and there is no way I am going to stand there and try to argue that I was good enough during my life to merit living eternally in the presence of a perfectly holy God.

So if that will be what happens then, there's two things about now that I know. a) I should never take Jesus sacrifice for granted. And 2) I can take Jesus sacrifice for granted.

I can work to make my calling sure even while counting on the gift of the shed blood of Christ. There's always a balance to be struck.

No comments:

Post a Comment